FreeHost3270 is a suite of software modules aimed at providing access to 3270 mainframe terminals to Java applications. It consists of several modules. The core of the suite is the Client module. This module a library that implements terminal client access routines and is intended to be used in other applications.
Basically speaking, modules provide:
- The 'client' module is a backend providing convenience methods for accessing raw 3270 terminals. This has terminal and telnet related stuff.
- The 'gui' module has terminal screen rendering code.
- The 'app' module has stuff related to the stand alone application.
- The 'applet' module has applet related code.
- The 'proxy' is for applet to mainframe relay code.
- The 'web' is for bringing applet and the proxy into a single web app.
In general, the suite provides:
- Client API that provides access to 3270 terminals from Java applications.
- Terminal emulation applet. This involves 3270 telnet relay proxy and the applet itself.
- Stand-alone terminal emulation application. This application has richer features than the applet.
Obtaining the suite
Latest releases and milestone builds can be downloaded from the project's download area. Detailed instructions how to obtain latest project sources from the project's repository are described on this page.